DATA PROTECTION COMPLIANCE SERVICE
Data has emerged and has grown popular description as the “NEW OIL” with particular efforts made to safeguard its use and protection in society. Nigeria is not behind in this trend with the release of the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation (NDPR) on January 25, 2019 by the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) pursuant to its powers under section 6 (a) and (c) of its enabling Act to safeguard, protect and guarantee the personal data rights of natural persons in Nigeria.
One of the commendable innovations of the NDPR is the power given to Nigeria Data Protection Bureau (NDPB) to license organizations to be known as Data Protection Compliance Organizations (DPCO) to monitor, audit, conduct training, and data protection compliance consulting to all Data Controllers in Nigeria.
This piece aims at examining the roles of DPCOs in Nigeria, their creation, importance, and risks associated with the non-appointment of one by data controllers.
The Trusted Advisors is an entity duly licensed by the NDPB for the purpose of training, auditing, consulting, and rendering services and products for the purpose of compliance with the NDPR or any foreign Data Protection Law or Regulation having an effect in Nigeria.
OUR SERVICES AS A DATA PROTECTION COMPLIANCE ORGANIZATION
As a licensed DPCO, our firm is saddled with the provision of one or more of the following services:
- Data protection compliance and breach services for data controllers and data administrators
- Data protection training and awareness
- Data regulations contracts drafting and advisory
- Data privacy and protection advisory
- Data privacy and protection due diligence investigation
- Data privacy and protection breach remediation planning and support
- Data privacy breach impact assessment
- Outsourcing data protection officers
- Information privacy audit, etc.